The meaning, advantages and disadvantages of joint family has been discussed in this article. Hope that you will find it useful.
What is the meaning of Joint Family?
A joint family (also undivided family, joint household, extended family system) is a large undivided family where more than one generation live together in a common house.
A joint family is a form of family where the grand-parents, father, mother, and children live unitedly under one roof. In such form of family system, every member:
- is expected to make some financial contribution to the common fund,
- share common rights in the household property,
- eat the food made at the common kitchen, and
- make their daily expenditure from common fund.
In such form of families, the son doesn’t distant himself after getting married. Instead, he lives with his wife and children in the same house along with his other family members.
The eldest male member is usually the head of the joint family. His power and functions are like that of a trustee. He is entitled to take economic and social decisions on behalf of the family.
Also read: Importance of Joint Family
Advantages of Joint Family
The advantages of a joint family are more than one can count.
- It is the best pattern of living that is most conducive to the growth.
- It is based on a principle of fair economy. It holds it as a rule of creation that all men are not equal. Naturally it imposes a kind of unwritten discipline that those who are more able economically shall share some of the burden of those who are not.
- The joint mess, naturally, runs on an understanding of mutual adjustment. Naturally those who are benefited by the generosity of others remain obliged and grateful.
- Similarly in a big joint family the study groups of boys are formed according to their age matching. Naturally the cousins study together, play together, quarrel together and are even punished together. As a result there grows in them a feeling of camaraderie that is free from any discrimination of one being a full brother or a cousin.
- In marriages also the grooms for marriageable girls become a concern for all the elders in the family. Even if a daughter of a junior brother is selected by someone because of her beauty or brilliance, he would not agree to her marriage until her senior cousin sister is married.
- The basic necessities of all the family members are taken care of. Each member is guaranteed the minimum subsistence for living.
- It supports all the members of the family. Old and elderly people are respected. Proper care is taken for old, widowed, physically weak and disabled family members.
- As such the disciplines in a joint family are self-imposed on its members. The head of the big family almost becomes its patriarch. The family prospers squarely if the patriarch and the other constituents observe the norms soundly and healthily.
- Finally, the spirit of oneness prevails in a Joint family system.
Disadvantages of Joint Family
But it has disadvantages too.
- It often creates parasites who love to feed on other’s income. They exploit the goodness and principled behaviour of its partners.
- Sometimes some crooked member of the family plot to torture and exploit another innocent member of the family.
- High earning members often insults the low earning members.
- The cost of education has gone up high. The high earning members often want their children to study in costly schools but they don’t want to share the burden of the children of the other members of the family.
- In large families, most of important decisions are made by the head of the family. Since, all the individuals within the family doesn’t get the opportunity to participate in major decisions of the family, they often feel lost or develop a feeling of inferiority complex.
The separation of families was evident in the joint families themselves. It happens when feelings of generosity, charity, and fellow-feeling are not balanced by strong moral line, character and farsightedness. Joint family can be run successfully if the members remain committed to each other. The felling of togetherness and selflessness is the essence of joint family.
1. What is a Family?
Category: Indian SocietyTagged With: Family System
Each country has its own lifestyle and culture, and usually family system totally depends upon it. If you are eagerly willing to know about the family system in Pakistan, then keep on following this article. In this country, people have inherited family values which they prefer to follow religiously. Life in cities is modern and much more different as compared to villages because of the financial disturbances occurring while in a joint family system.
Joint family system is quite common in Pakistan. It is usually consistent with parents, kids and grandparents living together as a single family. In addition, the earning head of the family plays a vital role in maintaining the economy and nourishment of the family. Moreover, they take full responsibility and protection of their grandparents and thus are the outrageous care takers as well. Chiefly, each of the family members is well respected. Hence people in this country extremely follow the joint family system and live there with their mates.
Contrarily, an earlier last couple of year’s life of citizens has been changed and some changes have occurred in their family system, in big cities. To add more, the reality of citizenship will enable the family living together to be less exerted and large nuclear group. This lifestyle is usually opted in growing countries. As we know that Karachi is the largest city in Pakistan, it has observed by the city that the most enthusiastic people live here. Moreover, people can easily understand the changes in the family systems.
Once we talk about the elder citizens they generally prefer staying with their own family or their grand children to be completely taken care. They usually depend on their own family people to get complete moral, economic and physical support. Giving moral and physical support is common in the joint family system. It has been clearly known that city life or modern lifestyle will destroy the care of family and family values to their elders. In addition, the city lifestyle will be struck off the care of growing kids with their elders.
The situation will be drastic for the senior citizens in the modern family system. Elders can reside in more risk free state while being in a joint family system. And people living in the joint family system will clearly respect their elders and will completely support them. Joint family system is better than living alone. But growth in city life is tending to give rise to the modern family system.
4Most of Pakistanis are Muslims. They enormously respect their tradition and customs, and they strictly follow the values of family. Mostly, it could be seen that joint family system is being followed and in comparison to that, there will be some of the groups that are living as the modern lifestyle family system. People in the modern system will only take care of their wives and children.